Tuesday, May 2, 2017

3 for 1

Greetings all-

It has been a while since I posted so I will be consolidating 2 Islands and a freshwater lake into one. Enjoy.

Matia Island is one of the most northern of the San Juan Islands.  It is a beautiful little island that is primarily a national wildlife refuge.  Rolfe Cove, the only place really to land by boat on the island,has two mooring buoys, a dock with room for two boats and (as we found out pulling in) a rip roaring current. Had to back off and try again. All ended well, we tied up nicely and went for a walk.







There once was a hermit named Dave.........





We looked at our tide charts and were happy to find that low/slack tide was upon us as we were ready to leave so the exit was not nearly as exciting as the entrance.
 We motored the short distance to Sucia Island where we grabbed a mooring ball and settled in for a couple of days.







Taking advantage of a dreary day with very little wind, we left Sucia Island behind and hightailed it to Seattle where we took a slip at Shilshole Marina. We woke up this morning to a mixture of clouds and sun and still very light winds.  We took on some fuel and headed to the Ballard Locks to take us up approximately 26 feet to the freshwater of Salmon Bay and on into Union Lake and finally Lake Washington. We will be here 2 nights before heading to Bell Harbor Marina in downtown Seattle.




















Till next time....

3 comments:

  1. I love the comments on individual pictures and I would like to know whose scat that was with the crab pincers in tact. I have fallen in love with this journey and want to say thank you so much for sharing. The photography is breathtaking. I especially loved the homes on this one but I have no idea what that rusty looking thingy is under the dock. Thankful you did not crash coming in with the rough current, I would love an adventure like this!!! Again, thank you for sharing Blake and you remain in my prayers. ☮

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that while in Seattle, if you get a chance, try to get a seat at The Walrus and the Carpenter. Google it and get some tips on getting a table. The food is so darn good! I think I could have eaten my weight in oysters...the variety changes daily but the chefs here are top notch! I hope you get a chance to experience this fantastic food! ッ

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are enjoying the blog and thanks for the oyster tip. Looks like our kind of place.

    ReplyDelete